Skip to content

Support from the government

You might be able to get financial support from the government if you:

  • are going through a hard time
  • have a disability
  • are a carer
  • are a parent
  • are studying
  • are an older person.
A federal government building and a symbol for money

These supports include:

  • Disability Support Pension supports people with disability who can’t work
  • Age Pension – supports people over 65 years old
  • Carer Payment – supports people who care for someone, like a person with disability
  • Health Care Card – helps people pay for healthcare when they don’t earn much money
  • Jobseeker – supports people who are looking for a job
  • Parenting Payment – supports parents and other people who care for children
  • ABSTUDY – supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to study
  • Austudy – supports people over 25 years old to study
  • Youth Allowance – supports people between 16–24 years old to study.
Website icon

Learn more about all of these and other payments on the Australian Government’s Services Australia website.

Website icon

If you need a support person, you might also be able to get a Companion Card.

A companion card lets you take a support worker to an event or other activities for free.

A companion card

Learn more on the Companion Card website.

Website icon
Turn Easy Read Off
Easy Read Icon